Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The one about heat, baby#2, and hunger strikes

It's hot. In case you didn't know, the heat dome is upon us and it doesn't look like it's letting up any time soon.  This is not ideal because it means Reed and I have to get our workouts in really early.  We have to leave for our walk by 7:30 and be home by 8:30, and I'm talking at the latest. By the time we get home we're both drenched in sweat and we only go on Tuesdays, Thursdays and a weekend day.  If we have other plans, such as a play date or any other special circumstance, then Reed doesn't get any time in the stroller and that makes me feel bad.  He hates being locked up in the house and longs for fall.  In the spring there were days that  I was taking him out in the stroller 3 times a day because he just loves to be outside. Somebody getting cranky? Hop in the stroller! Now that's not an option because I don't really want to subject my baby to heat stroke.
Either of them!
Being pregnant again is wonderful.  I don't have as much time to concentrate on the life growing inside me- as with Reed, but when I do stop to think about it, I feel that wonderful rush of warmth to my heart.  I've been pretty tired and my body is requiring more sleep of course.  This makes things difficult, but Mike has been my hero, getting up in the night with Reed as needed.  It's getting easier, he is becoming a much better sleeper, slowly but surely. Most of the time I rush around trying to clean up, cook meals, wash bottles and make myself presentable for the public.  When I plop down on the couch, exhausted after a 10 minute spout of energy, it looks like I'm doing nothing.  Do not let this fool you! I'm still very busy! I'm over here making fingers, toes, eyelids and everything in between! Sure it doesn't take a lot of concentration to build a baby in your belly, but it takes all the energy that you have.  At 13 weeks, I'm looking forward to the start of the second trimester where I get my energy back.
Its no secret that I am hoping for a girl.  I grew up very close to my mom and love how our relationship has evolved and grown over the years.  My whole life I've had a great relationship with my mom and I want that for myself. I want to be a mother to my daughter.  There are so many things to look forward to with a daughter and also the balance of having one of each.
If this baby is a boy, there are so many benefits. Reed will have a built in best friend.  They will grow up very close, much closer of course than a brother and his sister would.  Two brothers- they'll have each other's backs.  I guess these are the things you consider when you have two paths in front of you.  There can be only one, and once I imagine a future down both paths, I become attached and attracted to both options.  Knowing that I will lose one doesn't stop me from daydreaming about it.  I suppose I like to mentally prepare, because I'm not one to settle on one, because lets face it- its a 50/50 chance!  I have no way of knowing what gender this baby will be until they tell me, so how could I start planning for only one or the other?  I can't even imagine having a baby before the days of the ultrasound.  Oh the anxiety! I would go crazy!  I want to know as soon as possible! In fact, I think the stick should just tell you in the beginning.  "You're Pregnant, and it's a girl!"
I've been getting more serious about planning Reed's first birthday.  It's going to be such a blast! My mom just sent me her flight itinerary yesterday, so she's officially going to be here! Which is excellent, I won't have to skype her in.  On the other hand, it looks like we will have to skype Mike's parents in. Because Reed's mother's day out (child care) is taking a two week break at the end of August, Mike's mom, Connie, is coming for the two weeks prior to Reed's birthday.  However, she leaves on Saturday, the day before.  Mike and I were both very disappointed that the timing didn't work out better.
I really believe that this party should be more for Mike and me.  I also think we should be the ones getting gifts, I mean, what are we really celebrating here?  Mike and I survived the first year with a baby without fatally harming Reed or each other.  That's something to celebrate! I suppose that would be very untraditional of us, but I still get very knowing nods of approval when I bring up this option to other parents.
My sweet Reedster has always loved food, but recently has turned on us.  He now only eats what he wants to eat, when he wants to eat it.  He will eat something one day, and not eat it the next.  This makes it very hard to plan his lunches at school.  At least when we're home, I can just open the fridge and choose another option.  This hunger strike frustrates me because I spend the time and effort to arrange his meals and then he doesn't eat them.  It doesn't seem to bother Mike much, but I can't exactly hand over the feeding duties full time as he's the one with the full time job.  I was starting to get very worried but recently I read that it's very common once your baby starts walking.  This is great news and eliminates a portion of the worry, however it doesn't solve the malnourished baby issues I'm facing. 
I suppose when survival instincts kick in, he'll eat.  Either that or mom will give into his preferred diet of blueberries and black beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment