Thursday, April 19, 2012

The one about big differences

At 3 months old Bryce is already so different from Reed.  First, let me say that I always thought Reed was a pretty easy baby.  That was before I learned what a joy Bryce is.  He’s taught me the textbook definition of “easy baby”.  You can always see a smile playing around his eyes just waiting to pop out. His grin is so easy to draw out, in fact, I can’t even claim credit for it 80% of the time.  He doesn’t normally cry unless its one of the three things he’s trying to communicate. (Hungry, sleepy wet).  Reed used to cry because he wanted soothed.  He preferred to be bouncing, swaying, sung to- and of course always, always to be held.
Bryce enjoys being held, but sometimes he just wants his space.  It feels like you’re just giving up- in the evenings when he’s had a bottle and a clean diaper, and he’s done playing in my lap- he will start to squirm and grunt like something is wrong.  My natural reaction is to hold him closer, bounce him and hum a little tune or “shh shh shh”.  What he really wants is for me to go lay him down in his bed!  As soon as we release him, his whole body relaxes as if in a big sigh, “Ahhh… that’s all I needed! Now go away!”
This is so funny because I think he always needs me in order to be happy. I didn’t know babies could be like this!  He’s got a laid-back kind of independence. He likes to watch, observe, and be on his own a little more.  The smiles he gives us are so heart-melting.  He’s such a pleasure to be with- he makes being a parent a complete joy and oh so rewarding.  Those blue eyes just dance (we are crossing our fingers that he gets to keep them!) and his sweet voice coos with delight.
Reed dominates with his charming and (loud) out-going personality.   He’s entertaining to watch and play with so yes, Bryce has to be able to compete!  I’m sure glad he chose this route, it will definitely get him far! 

No comments:

Post a Comment