Thursday, May 10, 2012

The one about a sparkplug drama queen


I’m a bit of a spark plug.  I can be passionate, opinionated and a bit bossy.  Mike is so laid back that in the beginning of our relationship he had a hard time listening to my stories.  I never give the short version- I can try, but when I fail, I usually end up going back to the beginning and starting over.  I re-live the story, I get worked up all over again, and Mike would say, “Why are you yelling at me?”
Then I would yell, “I’m not yelling at you! I’m just telling the story!”  I didn’t understand why he couldn’t just listen to the story and it was distracting to me that he wasn’t paying attention to what I was saying, but instead to how I was saying it.
My mom can tell you that my stories have always started with a full description.  I was teased as a child, “Yes Connie, the sky was blue and the grass was green- just get to the point.”  It hurt my feelings to be teased about the way I told my stories.  I just wanted to come home from school and talk about my day.  I just wanted to go back on Monday and tell my friends how my weekend was.  If you hear a, “Fine, how was yours?” from me, then something is probably wrong. Either that, or I’m conducting some sort of social experiment.
Mike used to call me a drama-queen.  I call it passionate.  I choose a side and I commit to it. I decide how I feel about something and I give all my supporting evidence to back it. I can change my mind in a week- but at that moment, I’m sticking firmly to my guns.
I can’t apologize for the way I am.  I accept the way I am, I try to tailor and shape my behavior for certain situations, of course, but when I need to be me- this is what you get.  I work at giving my boss the short version, people I’ve just met get the socially correct answer.  However, my husband and my good friends just have to love me like this!
The most successful friendships I’ve had have always been with a compatible personality.  Someone who will let me talk- make me feel like my details are appreciated.  Someone who doesn’t want to compete with me for time to talk.  A similar personality to mine is probably not going to work out.
I once told a guy that chocolate is the key to my heart, but that wasn’t true. Listening is the fastest way in and questions, feedback and sympathy are sure to seal the deal.
I can talk for hours. I find myself very fascinating.  Is that the first-born daughter in me? The self-interest? The easiest way for me to fill silence is by talking about myself.  I’ve been working on a filter, but it’s a constant battle. 
I love learning about my friends too. Their experiences, the reasons behind their decisions, their thoughts on different theories.  But, it’s a struggle to keep from butting in with my own additions.
Blogging is a great outlet and I love each one of you for reading it regularly.  I hope I’m keeping it interesting enough for you all!

2 comments:

  1. i talk soooo much too! i'm glad we have managed to make our friendship work! maybe that's why we have to stay 45 min in the parking lot after class...to give us both a chance to passionately talk;) i call it passionate too...adam says i'm yelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol- it's a wonder they put up with us :o) - you're right, I think we've gotten pretty good at taking turns. It just shows that we really care about each other, since we want to listen, too!

    ReplyDelete