Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The one about getting back on the sports wagon


I’m officially back on the wagon!  Two weeks ago I ran my first sanctioned 5k at the first annual “Riley’s Run”, which started at the school across from our neighborhood.  The course was too convenient not to participate, plus Mike was going to be pushing the jogging stroller instead of me- so how could I say no?  My goal was to finish under 30 minutes and not have to walk. I only made one of those goals. I ended up walking 4 times, but my speedy husband was pushing us too fast and that’s my excuse!  It was a great experience to run as a family, all four of us doing it together had the spectators and fellow runners cheering us on.  Most of the comments were for Mike- “That’s a real man!” I heard one lady say.  Others suggested that it was their turn to ride in the stroller.  I wish I had a picture from that day, but I chose not to buy the professional photo that was taken because they were charging $15 for a  4x6.  No thank you! 

I’ve been running at least twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) with the boys in the stroller and biking … not much, but here and there.  I took them both in the trailer last week and I’m hoping they start to enjoy it more.  We made it a total of 6 miles in 30 minutes and about 15 of those minutes the trailer was wailing as it rolled over the hills and down the road.  It’s very distracting to a cyclist and not considered enjoyable!  Of course, each time I decided I couldn’t do it and was going to turn around, Bryce would settle in and stop crying.  Reed really did pretty well, considering he had a baby screaming directly in his ear. Not to mention Bryce’s tiny fists were flying up and hitting him square in the nose.
I’m signed up to participate in the Draper Duathlon this Sunday.  I haven’t competed in multisport since 09- the season before Reed was born.  I’ve done this course, so I know what to expect. The problem is, I was in the best shape of my life last time I competed and now I can barely run 30 minutes straight!  The course is 3k/20k/3k and its run/bike/run.  My goals are #1. Finish.  #2.  Not have to walk  #3. Not pee my pants in public.  #4 finish under 2 hours (this should be a sandbag goal, I should squash this time).  I’ll check back in with you about it next week. 
I’ve also signed up to compete in the Redman Olympic Distance Triathlon in September.  This is double the distance of any triathlon I’ve done before.  I remember at the end of my last tri season, the morning of Redman I was preparing for the race and thinking, “Why am I still doing sprints? I should be moving up and doing the Olympic distance. I’m such a sandbagger!”  However, an hour later, as I was flailing around in the water, trying to finish the swim, I reminded myself why.  “I am SO GLAD I didn’t sign up for the Olympic!” and again during the run. I couldn’t imagine running 6 miles and thanked my lucky sandbagging stars that I was only running 3.  Well, here I am, three years and two babies later signed up for this doubly butt kicking race.  Supposedly, muscle memory will kick in. That might have expired, actually. I’m pretty sure I’ll have to rely on good old fashion training.  Which, by the way, is cheating in my book.
I figure, if I know I’m doing the Olympic, registered, paid and planned. Then that’s what I’ll train for, right? Because the difference three years ago was I was always signing up and training for sprint distance. I can do it, because that’s what I’m planning on this time. Who cares if I’m getting older? What does that matter? What difference does being a mom make? This body created and delivered two babies!  Triathlons are just for fun- a hobby.  I should be able to make this happen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment