Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The one about the big loss


It has been a long time since I've sat down to write. One obvious excuse is how busy the holidays are, there seems to be plenty of things to keep me busy during every nap of every day.  Even when I did have time to sit and put some words down, I was afraid of what thoughts I might share before I’m ready to express what I’m feeling.  I like my blog to be honest and true, with no diversions or evasions. The holidays had a dark cloud over them this year.  Losing my father in law was such a life-altering blow.  He was essential to our lives, our futures, our plans. Dealing with it has been so difficult for us, and since this is my blog, I can say – It’s been difficult for me.  Even though I was only his daughter in law and even though I've only known him seven wonderful years, it hit me really hard.  I've had an internal battle about how much “right” I have to grieve over him.  I didn't have a solid father figure growing up, but I married into one and I felt like that was God’s way of making it up to me. I get to experience what it’s like to have a great dad- and just in time, a Grandfather to my boys! Even better! The anger set in almost immediately.  I've been robbed. My husband has been robbed. My sons have been robbed.  If this is God’s plan, I can’t see how this could be for the better. In what way is the world now a better place? A man who radiated God’s gifts, strong and masculine, committed and principled, loving and fun.  A man who is so well balanced that he touched the lives of virtually everyone who knew him.  I've got a list a mile long of people that the world could do without.  Get rid of them to make the world a better place. I've got 5 people I would trade to have Danny back.  No questions asked.
My friend Cassie said she wouldn't wish that loss on anyone. I would if it meant I could do the trade. My brother says God is selfish and wanted Danny with him.  If he was so selfish, he would leave Danny here with us to ensure more men (namely his sons and grandsons and great-grandsons) would follow the path to heaven.
I know everyone grieves differently.  I wish I could just be sad, but I’m angry.  It’s unfair.  Nothing about it is right. It’s been over a month and I still get angry when I think about it. I have regret. I regret time I wasted while he was still here. I regret not draining him of his wisdom by asking his opinions on certain things or getting more of his advice.  I regret not giving him a great big hug the last time I saw him… I was distracted about our road trip home and gave him one of those one-armed, half-hugs. I regret not taking videos of him reading books to the boys, or bouncing them on his knee singing the “horses going to town-spilling the buttermilk” song.  
Danny was a substantial man. I mean, he was a bid dude, but also such a strong force. It’s hard to believe that he’s not in this world anymore.  Danny was the kind of guy that could make you feel so special.  If he loved you, then you were the bees knees. And the funny part is, he was so accepting and sure loved a lot of people!
It always sounds so cheesy when people talk about how short life is. Or about how you have to hug and kiss your loved ones because they could be gone the next day.  It all sounds cheesy until someone you love is taken from you.  Until you’re feeling the pain of the loss and you can’t find the words to express it that aren’t cheesy.
If you think there’s time later to get healthy, to lose weight, to quit poisoning yourself, please stop. Your health is the most important thing you can take into your own hands. For the sake of your loved ones (which includes me, if you’re reading this) start now, as in, yesterday. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment