Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Daring Rescue

It was a very exciting day for everyone. Reed saw his first up close fire truck yesterday. He was rescued by Oklahoma Cities finest- and boy was he appreciative! Raise your hand if you’ve ever locked your baby in the car- with the keys. I have learned a valuable lesson about keeping possession of my car keys. They will forever be with me. After a little trip to Hobby Lobby, I snapped his carseat into the base and closed to door to go around to the other side. I heard the dreadful “beep beep” and my heart lept into my throat. Immediately I went for the door handle thinking I could be faster than a Porshe. No such luck. I peered through the window and to my horror, Reed has already begun to cry. So I think to myself, “Self, what have you done? … and now what will you do?” So I call 9-1-1. It’s an emergency, right? The dispatcher connects me with the Fire Department and they send a rescue team. It took entirely too long. I felt as if an hour had passed as I sit with my forehead pressed against the glass chanting, “Reed, Mommy’s right here. Look at me, Reed!” To which he replied, “WAAA! W-W-W-Waaa!”
Then I heard the sound of the sirens approaching and here comes this massive fire tuck, lights a flashing and siren a blaring. I think they do this so you will be more careful in the future to save yourself the embarrassment of this special kind of rescue. It still took entirely too long. The Porshe was on lock-down and had my Reedster hostage. Finally, using a wedge, they actually pried the passenger door open just enough to hook my keys and pull them out. A crazy way to do it, but it was the only way. I pull Reed to safety and he instantly goes silent and just stares down the firefighters and their huge truck. At that point they’re all smiling and complimenting him, but he’s speechless. I should have taken the opportunity to get his picture with them, but my head wasn’t exactly in that place. As they drove away, some other ladies were standing around and one of them said, “Oh my, that WAS an emergency!” Yeah, like I would call a fire truck if I locked only my keys in the car.
Only then did I call his daddy, who is in Texas this week, to describe the event. Oh, how I wanted to call Mike as I was waiting for them to come! But, since there was nothing he could do, I knew it would only be harder on him and make him feel helpless.
All this after such a wonderful and joyous weekend with Grams! My mom flew in on Friday evening and left on Monday evening. It just feels right when she’s here. I can’t even tell you what I wouldn’t give to have her here. She makes him smile just by looking down at his face. He really strives to impress her and even started the process of rolling over, just for Grams!! Before this, he really had no desire to. He was perfectly fine lying on his back, kicking his legs and reaching his arms out. He may have gotten jealous after watching Sophie roll over last Thursday, but it took him a while to act on it.
We did a lot of playing around the house, but we did have a couple fun outings. On Saturday morning we met Melissa and Ty for breakfast. Ty is getting so big and its amazing to think my Reedster is going to do the same thing. That evening we attended Emily’s cookie decorating party, which was a great time. How fitting that we decorated a bunch of cookies to be donated to the fire department? I’ll have to check and see if it went to the same guys. Reed watched longingly as we indulged in all the sugary goodness.
I’m going to guess that Monday was probably the highlight of my mom’s trip. I went to work and she got to stay home with Reed all day. Just the two of them with nothing to do but enjoy each other! I really don’t know how she can stand it. He’s so stinkin’ cute. It was sad when she left. It always feels too short. I miss her again already.

....................

No comments:

Post a Comment