Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The one about off, out and apart.

Reed is a little destructive.  This seems to be a common baby trait so it's not like I'm worried, but it is a very interesting thing to watch.  First of all, he's a very busy guy.  Spend five minutes with him and you will see that he's not a baby that can sit in one spot and play with a toy.  He's always on a mission and he's always got something very important to do.
If it can come apart, he must take it apart. If it can't, he must give it a try.  He likes to rip magazines.  Not because he thinks its funny, like the "newspaper-ripping laughing-baby", no.  Its part of his mission to destroy all things.  When he comes across an end table or any other surface with items resting upon it.  He must remove all of the items in a violent fashion. This includes but is not limited to, swiping, tossing over the shoulder, and sometimes a quick taste before discarding it to the floor and moving to the next one.
He keeps a serious look on his face during these missions- he may raise an eyebrow if something happens that he didn't expect.  An unexpected sound or an unexpected taste.  Each day he re-examines his toys (or non-toys) as if they morphed while he slept.  At times, he is so absorbed in these missions that he won't even hear his name being called.

This is funny to watch because the flip side to my serious-engineer-man is this silly boy with a contagious smile and untamed laugh.  He giggles and wiggles when you poke his sides and gets a kick out of peek-a-boo.  His new favorite sound, besides good old "dada" is now "who- who", which prompts me to ask, "What does an owl say?" Hey, a mom will help her kids get the right answer, even if its a little sideways.

Reed is my shining star. He's my favorite boy in the whole world.  Snuggling his soft skin and covering him with kisses is the first thing on my list each morning and the last thing I do at night.  I want to give him every ounce of my "mommy-love" I can't imagine splitting my attention. So, when the time comes for Reed to become a big brother, I honestly wonder how that can work.  Will I not love that baby as much? Or will I forget Reed and shift all my love to the new baby? How do you split your love equally?

No comments:

Post a Comment