Thursday, May 5, 2011

The one about me changing

How much have I changed since I had a baby? Is that even measurable?  I know that when I was pregnant, and even before that, I tried to imagine what it was going to be like to be a mom. I imagined days with Reed, playing together in his room, going for walks, the books I would read to him and the things I would teach him.
Even then, just trying to imagine it was such a stretch! It was like imagining a completely different life, imagining being a completely different person.

It doesn't feel that different looking back.

It feels so natural to be a mother. I remember thinking about that label and saying the word would make me feel all funny inside, but now its really nothing.  Reed and Mike are my family.  Nothing could feel more natural.  To continue my efforts to make our lives better is my daily goal.  That, and to make sure Reed doesn't choke on the caps from the springy door things on the wall.  Or break his neck trying to climb the dining room chairs.  He's obsessed with those two things currently.

What else has changed?
I know my body has changed. Although I'm within a couple pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight, things are still "softer".  I know it will never be the same, but I can accept what I can't change.
I look at the world with different eyes.  Its not about me anymore. Its about my family.  Threats are scarier, memories are more sentimental, and joys are happier.
I don't know why this little crawler can be such a huge influence in the way I think.  And, like I said before, I don't even think I can accurately measure all the ways I've changed, but I sure wanted to try and touch on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment