Thursday, September 15, 2011

The one about Reed's baby brother

Bryce at 22 weeks (profile picture of head).
We just got home from our third ultrasound for Reed's baby brother.  With Reed, we only had 2 ultrasounds total because we declined any extra (optional) screenings for problems and birth defects.  Mike and I had decided early on that since we weren't really at risk based on any family history or other factors, then we didn't need to spend the extra time and money.  Of course, we love seeing the ultrasounds, a chance to take a glimpse inside and see what the baby is doing, but not necessary for us in the grand scheme of things.
This baby is giving us less choices.  We've had 3 ultrasounds and are planned for another one in a couple months.We found out a our last appointment that my platelets were slightly low so they wanted to take another look and do the level two ultrasound, which is usually the "down syndrome and birth defects" picture.  We got to take a look at our perfectly healthy/no concerns whatsoever baby in 4D.  And guess what? It's still a boy.  No change there!  Our first ultrasound was at 16 weeks and she said 90% certainty that it's a boy.  At the 19 week appointment- boy.  Now, 22 weeks- boy!  We will schedule another ultrasound between 30 and 32 weeks and I'm sure they'll mention boy again... In fact, this doctor today told us, "if this baby comes out a girl they better be looking around in there for something that fell off!"


Dad teaching Reed to drive.
Yes, it's public knowledge that I wanted a daughter, and over the last few weeks I've battled with some pretty intense emotions.  However, I've come to realize that I'm not the only one affected by the gender of this baby.  God has a plan, I always thought his was inline with mine- but whatever, and maybe he knows what he was doing after all.  Perhaps Reed needs this baby brother.  The difference the gender of this baby makes in his life is astronomical.  Just imagine a few snapshots of his life as a big brother to a little sister.  Reed protecting her, her bossing him around, embarrassing him, them fighting as teenagers and hating the people each other date because they'll never be good enough.  Now imagine some snapshots with a little brother, playing the same sports, wrestling around in the living room, supporting each other and "having each other's backs," they will each be the best man at each other's weddings.  Maybe God specifically wanted Reed to have a little brother because there is some major life event that they need each other for.  I don't know.  Trust me, I've played out my whole life with and without a daughter in my mind's eye.  But only recently did I start to think about the other people involved here.  Mike with a son and a daughter. Mike with two sons.  I believe this was just meant to be. 
When Bryce comes into this world to make his mark, he will prove me right on all counts.  His presence will be so strong and so definite that I couldn't imagine anyone's life without him, especially not my own.


He will be different from Reed. Somehow they will both shine bright and find their own stage with their own spotlight.  Yet they will be brothers and everyone will know them as "The Franklin boys."
Reed at his 1yr appt after shots
I am sometimes so overwhelmed by how completely awesome Reed is that I can't imagine giving my heart to any other boy.  How could anyone measure up?  How is that even fair to expect him to?  Reed is amazing- hilarious, smart, loving, strong and oh boy is he handsome.  I can't look at him without thinking how simply perfect he is.  
I thought that if I had a daughter that would give her all the uniqueness she would need to stand out and apart from Reed. To be her own.  But I know it won't matter.  Bryce will be loved equally and fairly, despite the hand-me-down clothes and toys.  *wink*
My due date is January 19th but I'm expecting the doctor to push it back soon.  At each of the three ultrasounds they have measured Bryce to be about a week behind.  So today, instead of 22 weeks, he looks more like 21 and one day.  This is not an exact science, but since the due date was determined off my last cycle before getting pregnant, I think the ultrasounds are a little more accurate.  Anyway, he will keep growing perfectly and we will worry about due dates and delivery at a much later date!

No comments:

Post a Comment