Saturday, October 15, 2011

The one about preparing for Reed's 1st Parent/Teacher Conference

I should be studying. In fact, that's what I told Mike when he left for the store with Reed.  I have two tests next week, one Monday and one due Wednesday. On the other hand, it's been a couple of weeks and I haven't had time to put a blog out.  Although blogging sounds a bit like goofing off, it's fairly important to me.  For one thing, it helps me express myself creatively, it also keeps my writing skills sharp, and on top of it all it helps me to record this amazing time in my life. 
Reed has parent/teacher conferences coming up and I'm nervous about it!  I tell myself there is no reason to be, but I worry that his teachers are going to drop a monstrous bomb on me.  Something like, Reed is way behind in this, or Reed is much too aggressive, mean, a bully. Maybe it's about me- maybe they're going to tell me that I should be doing something- bathing him more,  disciplining him differently, challenging him.  I don't know, what it it could be but the fear is there.  I will be irritated if they do drop something big on me, because I'm there twice a day, three times a week- picking him up and dropping him off. If they have any concerns then they should tell me instead of waiting two months into the semester.  I value their opinion for a couple of reasons, they have more experience with children his age, and they get to see him interact with other kids all the time.  I want to be open and receptive to their suggestions and comments.  I have a lot to learn about my own child because he's my first and I've never done this before and also because I don't have the opportunity to see him playing with others much.  We have an occasional play date here and there, but these are his classmates and he knows them.
Last week when I went to pick him up- I was early so I stayed and let him play for a little bit while I observed him.  Also, he just didn't seem like he was ready to go- there were things he needed to do (such as flip the plastic kitchen onto its top, push the little police car around, and ride the zebra).  He was like a pin ball in that room- complete with the lights and sounds going off as he bounced from one place to the next.  While I was there I noticed that he's not good at sharing.
He wants what others have, but only until he has it- then he's disinterested. I'm uncomfortable saying that because he actually shares really well at home- mostly with food. He is happy to offer his peas or chicken and he doesn't like to be turned down.  He doesn't take no for an answer.  His teachers have mentioned that he's generous at lunch, so I know they do get to see that. Anyway, I wonder how I'm supposed to be working on that with a nearly 14 month old toddler. 
I will follow up after the meeting and make sure to record the outcome of Reed's first parent/teacher conference. Provided that it's not too embarrassing. Then you will be reading an edited version! 

No comments:

Post a Comment