Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The one where we have Reed's Parent/Teacher conference

Yesterday was Reed's Parent/Teacher conference.  Mike left the office early and met me at Reed's school when he got out.  I told you that I was nervous about my first official opportunity to be criticized by professional childcare givers, but I had mentally prepared myself to be accepting of ideas and thoughts that they might have.
They were full of praise for Reed!  Mike and I loved hearing that he impressed them with his expanding vocabulary and desire to learn.  They told us about how curious and inquisitive he is each day- eager to learn how things work, turn them upside down to inspect them from all sides, and ask his gibbery questions.  They said he does very well with his fork and spoon- much better than others in the class and that's when they told us how impressed they were with his diet. They said Reed eats better than anyone in the class and they commend me for making nutrition so important in our home. His teachers even told me that sometimes they wish they could refuse to feed what parents bring for the other children because they worry about their cholesterol and blood pressure!
We asked if Reed was behind in any of his skills for a 14 month old and they said no, there wasn't anything they would consider him behind in. We asked if there was anything they thought we should work on with him or ways that we should be challenging him and they said no- he is right on track or advanced in most things.

We asked about biting, sharing, and playing with others. They said he'd only bitten once (I was there) and it hadn't happened before or since.  Sharing was going to be an obstacle for all toddlers for a while, so we shouldn't stress about it and Reed plays really well with the other children.
Basically, when Mike and I left we were very satisfied with how our Reedster is doing developmentally.  Its important for us to get this kind of feedback because we don't have anyone to compare him to, or judge him by (and I know we're not supposed to anyway) but I consider his teachers professionals and they see a side of him that we don't at home.  They also have different rules and schedules and ways of wording things.  It seems that Reed adjusts to change easily and deals with ambiguity very well.
We couldn't be more proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment