Thursday, November 17, 2011

The one about forward facing

Who knew that turning your car sear around was such a touchy subject?  I didn't even really consider it a topic of conversation, in fact, with the majority of my friends I haven't even brought it up.
Most of my friends' kids are older than Reed, either by months or even a year, but not much more.  So most of my friends have turned their kids around and it wasn't an event that was announced to me.  Everyone makes their own decisions based on the information they are provided (or seek) and decide what is important to them.
For Mike and me, safety is a big one and there are certain things that deserve some risk assessment.  We did our research, considered the sources, and weighed our options.  As with most aspects of parenting, I will not outwardly judge people for not choosing the same as I do.  I will, however, reserve the right to judge them silently if I so chose!  Epidurals, breastfeeding, cloth vs disposables, starting solids, sleep training, etc.  These are all things that require proper assessment as well as lifestyle compatibility.
Based on some sources, experts recommend turning your child around in the car once they are agile enough on their feet to navigate a variety of changing terrain.  Yes, Reed is 100% eligible in that area.  Some experts note that at 12 months of age, the baby's spinal cord is finally the same length as the spinal column- the importance of this is that if the baby is forward facing and you're involved in a collision, then their head is thrown forward - which causes the spinal column to stretch beyond the elasticity of the spinal cord causing the spinal cord to snap.  A fatal result, and not worth it in my opinion.
The number one reason Mike and I are waiting to turn Reed around is just purely because it is safer.  Most collisions happen with the driver breaking or being hit from behind- causing that head to be thrown forward again.  However, a rear facing baby is pushed deeper into their car seat and avoids the risk of whip-lash.  Here we are halfway through November and entering the worst season for driving conditions.
The only drawback we have encountered is his dirty shoes on the leather seats.  Oh yes, and the space that it takes up in the car- preventing one of the front seats from being able to adjust back if the passenger needs more leg room.  This is how we feel about it right now, we are fortunate that Mike and I both agree on it (yay!) so when Reed's baby brother is born, and we have two car seats in the car, we'll probably turn Reed around then.
The point is, it surprises me when people see that Reed is still rear-facing and then I'm interrogated about it. I didn't comment when I noticed they turned their child around.  Trust me- I'm not one of those over-protective parents.  Spend 10 minutes with Reed and me and you'll see that.  He gets plenty of opportunities to harm himself in dangerous environments.  Close your eyes if you come to the park with us, because I promise you'll get nervous when you see the pregnant lady letting her toddler climb to the top of the playground!

No comments:

Post a Comment