Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The one about Reed singing



Reed started singing with me a couple of weeks ago. I’d start each line of a song and he would finish it.  The first song was “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” and then ABCs.  I’d say “Twinkle Twinkle Little… “ he would finish, “Star!” and so on.  It was so cute and Mike and I were very impressed.  One night we were driving home in the truck and Mike said, “He’ll be singing that song all on his own before Thanksgiving!”  He was looking forward to Reed singing for his parents in Indiana.  I thought to myself, “He’ll be singing it by the time your mom gets here next week!!”  The very next morning as Mike was changing Reed’s diaper, I froze suddenly as  I listened to Reed start the song on his own and continue to go through each line.  Not wanting to distract him, I just stood there waiting for the end of the song. I caught Mike’s eye, who hadn’t even realized what was happening yet, and gave him my excited look.  Then Mike was aware of it and we both waited till the final line before bursting into praise for Reed.  “YAY!! That was sooo good Reed! You sang it all by yourself! You’re amazing!”  He stood there looking at us with this tentative smile, not really sure what we were so excited about.  It was like he was thinking, ‘wow- you guys are so easy to impress. That’s all I had to do?’ As if he didn’t already know this about us.
He now also sings the full ABCs, Ring around the Rosie, Jesus Loves Me, and most of Itsy Bitsy Spider.  My favorite though is “Hey Hey we’re the Monkeys”.  I have yet to catch it on video- but stay tuned. It’s worth the wait!  He has a rapt audience in Decker, who looks at him and watches in awe. Mike and I can only shake our heads - it begins already.  Idolizing his brother!
Reed loves when I make up songs just for him.  There’s a rap that I invented when he asked for a “Fridge Song” it goes like this:
I open the fridge, and what do I see?
A big Jug of milk is staring at me
So I pour it in a cup
And drink it all up
This is the fridge song, I say what’s up.
I sing it for Reed, I sing it for Reed, this is the Fridge Song, I sing it for Reed!
I know. You don’t have to tell me. I’m a pretty big dork.  Just wait till you hear the song I made up in response to Reed’s request for a “wall song, door song, and window song”.


No comments:

Post a Comment