Thursday, November 8, 2012

The one about imagination


Reed has an amazing imagination. I know that shouldn't be a huge surprise because children are supposed to have great imaginations, otherwise parents would have been throwing away all their large boxes and not being forced to keep them around the house for weeks while they change from castles, to race cars, to rocket ships.  I just think he’s starting this a little early!  He’s just over two years old, at 25 months my son was holding up popcorn and telling me, “it’s a bug!” and the next piece, “ It’s a helicopter!”  Today at lunch he bit a slice of hotdog in half, and held it up, “It’s a rainbow.  In the sky!”
It’s become one of his favorite games, to tell me what things look like. He could do a Rorschach test right now! I wonder what the inkblots for toddlers would look like. Perhaps bugs, helicopters and rainbows! If I’m lucky.
Reed could have an entire conversation with you.  When we came in from the car today he realized he was missing a shoe and said, “Where’s your other shoe? Is it in the car? Oh no! We have to go get it!” and headed straight to the garage! (He is still working on his I, me, mys and yous and yours).  Each word is perfectly pronounced but with such fake animation! Something he definitely picked up from the way he is spoken to by adults!!
Decker is finally sleeping in his crib in the room with Reed.  At nine and a half months, he’s more predictable about his bedtime and overnight routine and is falling asleep on his own.  The other factor was always Reed, too.  It just had to all match up just right for them to be able to sleep in the same room together. The pack ‘n play in the office has been Decker’s main slumber spot and it’s bothered Mike for quite some time.  He’s been saying, “We have to either get him moved in with Reed or get him his own room.  We can’t keep treating him like some kind of step-child!” You know, even though he looks like one.  I agree, but I don’t want to give up another room in the house to give him his own bedroom.  Plus, I couldn’t deprive them of the opportunity to experience that closeness they’ll get from sharing a room with their brother.


No comments:

Post a Comment