Thursday, November 29, 2012

The one about Thanksgiving (mostly)

Where have we been? I know, it's been a while since I've written and it's not for lack of excitement or things to write about, that's for sure.  We have been busy- the holiday season is upon us which means travel, parties, decorating and narrating and explaining everything that's going on to the boys.  Reed is excited to look at Christmas lights and Christmas trees displayed everywhere we go- we don't have ours yet so I have asked him, "Reed, do you want to have a Christmas tree at our house?" He replies, "Yes! I DO!!"  This extra "I do" or "Yes, I am" (are you happy, are you hungry, etc) is really cute and new to us.  He has begun to understand so much more and he's able to explain his thoughts and feelings more now, too.  He tells us when he wants things, "I want some cold milk." and will rephrase when we ask him to ask us nicely, "Can I have some cold milk, please, mommy?"
Yes, we are continuously trying to instill good manners and talk about what good manners are and are not. 
We took our big road trip to Indianapolis for Thanksgiving, which Mike and I had a lot of anxiety over.  We tried to make sure we were prepared for every bout of boredom and every snack craving.  The truck was packed with goodies from books to games, cheese cubes to fruit snacks.  We were very pleased with how well Reed and Decker handled the trip.  We stopped in St Louis each way in order to break up the 12 hour drive.  Spending the night with the Fousts was more than an excellent break - it was entertainment! 
We had such a great trip, made lots of memories and realized how lucky we are that the boys have cousins that they will enjoy playing with for their whole lives. 
Reed became attached to Luke and Kyle, calling them "cousits" rather than cousins. I think more than their company- he enjoyed the toys that accompanied them. 
Decker is still the baby of the group and is the only one still taking a bottle and snuggling up on the couch for it.  Connie wasn't one to pass up the opportunity to give her grand baby a bottle either.  She was well aware that each one could be the last- at 10 and a half months, Decker will be giving it up and switching to cups in just a month and a half- unbelievable!
Reed's brain is always working- we just have to stay ahead of him to keep him learning things that are worth-while! 
He's also very aware of emotions and points out when "mommy is upset" or if I'm sad.  Which are emotions I use when he's in trouble and did something he wasn't supposed to.  Reed is two, which means he will continue to do something that you told him to stop doing, while looking you in the eye.  He also will stubbornly not do something that you asked him to do - again, while looking you in the eye. Or he will go back to doing something that you warned him not to do again.  I switch back and forth between being angry and upset, to being sad.  Trying to see which emotion he reacts to best.  
But the other day, after he was banging Grandma's remote against the glass end-table, we went to the room to talk about it in private. I explained to him that I was very sad and disappointed that he was doing something he knew was bad. After I said, "Reed... mommy is just very sad right now." He put his hand on my cheek, tilted his head to the side and said, "you okay, babe?" It took every ounce of my self control not to smile at his adorable face, but I hung my head and said, "I will be, Reed. I will be."



No comments:

Post a Comment