Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The one where Reed has his 6 month check-up

It really hit me the other day that Reed is 6 months old. Half a year since I gave birth to him. It's amazing. In some ways it feels longer and in some ways shorter. I competed in a bike race this past weekend, two actually - one Saturday and one Sunday, and I had to remind myself that I'd only just had a baby 6 months ago. Its hard to have realistic expectations because I know what I have been capable of and I want to be performing at the same level- or better. Of course it takes time, boy if I had a nickel for every time I have heard that in the last 6 months! Which reminds me, I wanted to get back into my old pre-pregnancy jeans- it takes time! My doctor told me not to be too hard on myself and said it usually takes 6 months. Of course I knew that I would cut the time frame in half. Ha! Well, I was wrong and grossly overestimated my "bounce back" time. I think it was 6 months to the day! It wasn't the weight necessarily, but just my hips were still coming back together or something. I'm still working on toning everywhere, but now that I can't rely on the calorie burning of breastfeeding I have to be a little more watchful of my calorie intake!
Reed's daily nutritional needs have really changed. Just check out the before and after of the freezer.




First it's all milk, then it's all veggies! Squash, carrots, peas and green beans. He also has bananas in his oatmeal with breakfast now.


So, about his wellness check-up. I have taken him to all previous appointments and all shots up to this point, but this week it was Dad's turn. Mike took him Monday morning as I left for work. What a way to kick of spring break! Even tho going to the doctor can never be considered a "fun" thing, I knew that Mike would enjoy it because the doctor is always so full of praise. I don't know if it's just his thing- you know, telling parents that their babies are so strong, so healthy, so this and so that. I wouldn't blame him, it's a sure fire way to make sure people like you! However, I like to think that it's genuine. He always seems so impressed at Reed's strength and I knew Mike would love to hear that. Plus Reed recovers from his shots so quickly that it's hard not to brag.

Reed measured at 26 inches and 17lbs 7oz. Doctor says he's following his growth curve just fine.



Its hard to believe that he'll be 7 months at the end of this month. Next week we leave for Arizona, where we will finally be visiting my brother, Coy! He moved there several years ago and I feel terribly guilty that I have never been to see him but he's been to Oklahoma City to see me twice. Also, it's exciting to be able to go see my Grandma. She's so anxious to meet Reed. He is her first great grandbaby! Its a shame we didn't get out there sooner so she could see him when he was a tiny little bundle of mush. I love to look back at pictures of people holding him and he's just so small and fragile-looking in their arms.



Reed recently fell in love with his tongue. It is quite adorable.

He's a pro at getting himself into the all fours position and is working on his crawl still. He gets this look of complete concentration on his face and tries to jump both knees forward after rocking for a bit. He ends up in a pike position with is legs straight and his butt completely up in the air. I enjoy watching his little body move and discover new strengths and abilities!


He doesn't sit on his own but he can turn himself in all directions and even has a little tripod thing he does when he wants to look up at you while he's playing on the floor.

He still loves to stand, his little legs are pure muscle. His balance is improving and he can stand at his little music station and pound on the keys. Don't interrupt tho, because he's very busy.

He started using his highchair and likes it pretty well. Good thing, too, because his legs are getting to big for the bumbo. I'm not giving it up yet, tho. It's so convenient!
Tomorrow I have a post that I know you're going to love! Stay tuned!


1 comment: