Thursday, March 31, 2011

And we boogie woogied all the way to Arizona and back!


Our trip to Arizona was so wonderful. Of course it's a beautiful area and there is so much to see, but mainly I just have such a great family that you could put us in a padded room and we'd have fun.

Reed did very well on both the flight out and back. He slept most of the way and the woman in the seat in front of us even commented as we deplaned, "I completely forgot he was even sitting there! He was so good!" That was nice of her, maybe she did forget but the man in 11D was quite aware the whole time. He sat in the aisle seat next to Mike in our row and I know he was very nervous about it. He was probably pleasantly surprised as well, but he didn't let his guard down. We made sure to give Reed bottles as we took off so he could pop his ears and not become uncomfortable. On each decent he was sleeping, so we tugged on his ears a little and put his pacifier in. No problems.

My brother, Coy, had plenty of ideas to entertain us when we got into town. Jeep tours, hiking, haunted hamburgers, a circus, and more. We were able to get around to something each day, but there were quite a few people to coordinate and it didn't always move quickly. We hiked up Bell Rock in Sedona with Reed in his new hiking carrier, which was as entertaining as it was beautiful. My brother and his girlfriend Cory Lyn crack me to pieces with their joking around. Coy warned us about snakes and pointed out "rockstackers" to which Cory Lyn replied, "snakes don't have hands!" Reed was hanging out on Dad's back the whole time and I'm glad neither of our mom's were there because they each would have had heart attacks. Mike was of course extremely careful and would never do anything to put Reed in danger, but there were some precarious looking positions he got into during the hike.

My next favorite highlight from the trip was the mountain biking excursion! Originally Mike and Coy had planned to go and make it a guy thing, but in the middle of the night before, as I was up soothing Reed and trying to make him sleep again, I started to consider going. After a couple hours I thought to myself, "Self? You should go! If you're ever going to try mountain biking then you should definitely try it in Sedona!" So when Mike woke up I told him I wanted to go and he was excited! Hopefully Coy was excited too. He was worried that we'd kill him out there, but he did great and kept his energy going and pushed through the gruelling two hour ride. He's an active guy and doesn't sit still, but this was a high intensity endurance activity! I never knew that I was a vocal mountain biker. We all found out at the same time when, three minutes down the trail we were bumping down the rocky terrain at such a high speed that I was screaming, "We're MOUNTAIN BIKING!.... WE .... ARE.... MOUNTAIN BIKING!" Along with all the "Woop! Woop!"-ing as I hit each bump. I was out of control the majority of the time, I really should have broken something, but I think I just got lucky. I also did a bit of what I call "mountain bike hiking" and "mountain bike running" because I spent some off-the-bike time. It was a lot of fun and a memory I will cherish forever.

My grandma really enjoyed her time with her first great-grand baby. It was sweet to see her holding him because he's gotten so big and she's so tiny. We left a couple of things of Reed's with her for her to hold onto. A onesie and a pair of socks. I just hope it always brings happiness and joy to her and not sadness.

Having my mom around is so awesome. Each morning when we would wake up, I would text my mom and let her know we were up and she'd come get Reed so we could sleep an extra hour. When we wanted to run off and do something -she was happier than a pig in mud to keep Reed with her. She traveled down from Wyoming with her close friend, Autumn, and my little brother Chris. My sister Jessie couldn't make it, and my heart felt it.

Some long lost family was able to meet up with us on Sunday for some play time in the park. Dora, who I used to adore as a child- but haven't seen in a million years, came with her sister, Nan, and two daughters (Alicia and Nicole). We had a fabulous reunion!
We left the park in Cornville and headed up to Jerome, the "floating city", for haunted hamburgers. I played it safe and got a chicken salad. I'm not exactly sure what would happen if you ate a haunted hamburger. Do you get a ghost in your stomach?
Monday morning Chris joined us for a trip to the award winning diner where we had breakfast and from there we went into Cottonwood and then out to the Tuzigoot Monument where we took these pictures.
You have to promise to go to my picasa album and view all of our pictures from the trip. They are marvelous! Click Here to go straight there



No comments:

Post a Comment